Sunday, September 21, 2008

Writing Cover Letters

Well, damn. After reading the first article about cover letters I must admit I am a bit bummed. Not that it is very surprising that employers scan resumes first, then perhaps read them if they're interested, and do not even read cover letters until after that.
But, it is hopeful to learn that by simply being aggressive and following up on a company that you have applied for can really open doors. I like the idea of seeing yourself as a product and the company as the consumer. This way, you are marketing yourself to a company. They need to know how and why your product (you) stand out from all the rest, and how the consumer (company) will benefit from you.
I think that this is a great way to think of yourself when applying for a job. It makes one focus more on the company than their self, which is good. If you show knowledge and interest in a company, then it will give you ethos that support the idea that they should hire you.
My favorite piece of advice from this whole article is to hand write a P.S. at the end of your cover letter. I think that this is an awesome way to stick out and to gain a prospective employer's attention. This is definitely something I want to do.

No comments: