Sunday, September 14, 2008

Interview Strategy: Telling Stories

My favorite theme that I learned from this article is that an interview should be more like a conversation than an interrogation. I think that this is an important concept for interviewees to recognize because people tend to get nervous during interviews. They may end up saying something they didn't mean or not putting their thoughts into words correctly because they are focusing too much on what the interviewer wants to hear.
If people focused more on interesting stories about themselves and their accomplishments that could build their ethos, then perhaps they wouldn't get mental blocks when asked simple questions. In my case, I have plenty of great answers to offer, but I tend to think too much about the question, that sometimes I can't find the answer I want to use.
I tend to react in interview questions the same as I do for exam questions. I think that if I got the opportunity to decide what topics I wanted to discuss before the interview/exam, then I would be much more secure in my answers and feel better prepared. As long as I find example stories that could answer multiple questions, then I would be prepared for much more.
This article made me stop and think about a few stories that might be beneficial to me in a job interview and it has really made me reflect on what I experience I really do have in the work force. It turns out that I have many crisis situations that I underwent while working as a full time nanny. It kinda makes me excited for the opportunity to talk about these situations in a future job interview.

No comments: