Wednesday, December 3, 2008

To the students of Eng 304 Spring Semester

I would like to begin by congratulating you on being in this class! I think that you will find it to be extremely helpful in not only your academic career, but also after school when you go out into the real world.

My first tip: go to class! Not only will your grade suffer due to lost participation points and daily grades if you do not, but it is also very helpful to have Mrs. Rogers address any questions you may have. And trust me, you will have them.

I don't know if you have already written a resume, my guess is that you have. But this class has provided the most help I have ever received on creating and perfecting a presentable resume.

That leads me to a second suggestion: buy the book! I actually plan on keeping mine at the end of the semester because it shows you how to create every formal document you can imagine. It's not that expensive, and totally worth the money.

My third tip: pick a good group at the beginning of the semester to work with for your client proposal. I lucked out in that for the first time in my schooling history, I a member of a hardworking group. I am so glad that I chose the members I did. Your group can really make you or break you, so chose wisely.

My next suggestion is to get to know your client and learn their desires for the project. If you don't know what they want, you will not be able to give it to them. I know this sounds dumb, but it is important that you do not waste your time writing a proposal that does not fit the wants and needs of your client. Though they will probably accept your proposal either way, you will have to make changes to it at the end of the semester when you are already busy with other classes. (If you get the work done early on it makes the end of the year go by much smoother.) Also, you want to help the client because otherwise you are just wasting your time, and the clients.

That about sums it up. This is a fun and helpful class. It is not that hard if you just do the work. And try not to fall behind on assignments, because it will come back to bite you in the ass in the long run.

No comments: