Saturday, October 18, 2008

Mock Interview Reflection

This week I had my mock interview for a position in Oregon as a drug counselor. All in all, I feel like it went pretty well. To be totally honest, I was pretty nervous about it, even though it wasn't real. I guess it was more like the jitters you get before an exam. I feel like this nervousness showed through the manner in which I was talking. I feel like I was speaking really fast, and maybe rambling. I tend to talk a lot when I'm nervous. This is something that I need to work on before a real job interview. I don't want to end up talking too much.
I was surprised, though, at how much talking time I was given. I guess I just didn't expect to get the chance to say as much as I did. This tells me that I need to have topics prepared to discuss deeper.
I wish that I had written a description of each of my jobs and volunteer work so that I would have my words collected already, thus being better prepared to discuss them and any questions an interviewer might have about them.
I was also late to my interview because of personal reasons. Luckily the interviews were about ten minutes late so I ended up getting there in good time. But if it were the real deal that would be unacceptable. I want to try to be early to my interviews, to compensate getting backed up for some reason.
I liked this experience. I feel like it was a great chance to not only practice an interview, but to get me looking farther ahead. By having to find an actual job that I would like to have in ten years was interesting because I haven't even thought about that before. I was surprised how many jobs I was able to throw out as chances based on how I feel today. I kind of want to do my interview again now.

No comments: